Friday, October 17, 2014

Hearken to Me, Hearties : Music

P.S – This is a Pre- Script. Not Post.

P.P.S – The songs are in an ascending order of preference. Read this post when you have some 20 minutes to spare. Listen to the song if you’ve not heard it (Links given after each song).

P.P.P.S – Grateful to all who have suggested me songs to listen to. Especially, MnM who introduced me to Blackstratblues.

Have fun, y’all.


Ishanee, this, for you.

For some , music may be an escape . For others, it may be their livelihood. For others, it may be their passion. For me, it’s a part of my life. I can sing (Singing level – Okay, when it comes to competitions, Singing level – Good when it comes to public occasions, Singing level – Greater than 9000 when in the bathroom (If you didn’t understand the last reference , you definitely should make yourself more familiar with 9Gag.)) I’ve been in the church choir for the last 12 years(Experience wise, I’m senior to my dad in the choir and I get to teach him ! Awesome, nuh ! :D ) and an organist in the choir for the last 3 years. But, trust me , when you meet the people I meet, you’ll understand that I’m nothing but a beginner(This is for all the pondi guggus, esp P). I’ve got friends who are technically more qualified in music, more than half of the Mallu population put together.

 I believe that a person’s playlist speaks out louder about him/her than their own self. A person's  playlist is like a selfie of his mind (Note these words down!! I made them up myself and they will definitely be words worth quoting. :D). But, if you assume that a person is a hyper energetic, loud mouthed maniac just because he listens to Green Day or System of a Down, you may be wrong (I definitely love Green Day and listen to SOAD, but, I hate loud stuff.) A person’s choice of songs definitely speaks about his state of mind (Hence, a selfie ! )

So, here are a few tracks which make up my playlist (Only the songs I listen to, the most. Kinda daily, actually ( My entire playlist is about 6 hours long :D ^_^)).

Starting from the least favorite of my most favorite list :-

Anderson Mesa by Jimmy Eat World
This band was suggested to me by a friend ,K. So, I did what I always used to do (After I joined Pondi Uni, of course ! ) – download their discography and listen to the songs. I liked many songs but this one stayed in my mind for reasons unknown. It starts off like soft waves lapping at your feet. Eventhough it doesn’t gain much macho and feels a little off-pitch at times, soothing.


All We’d Ever Need by Lady Antebellum
I feel that this song is made for those who have unwillingly let go of a person in their lives, be it a partner, be it a soulmate, be it a friend. A very touching, beautiful melody accompanied by just an acoustic guitar and a piano. There is another song called “Just a Kiss” by the same artist , which is awesome, but, I like this one more.


Lady in Spain by Ingrid Michaelson
Including this song will be a reason for the guggus to bugs me . Cuz, as per their prediction, I’m gonna end up with a  Spanish girl.
The first IM song I heard was her “Can’t stop falling in love” cover. One song, and I downloaded the discography(again.).
A slow,sweet, steady, melodious but haunting waltz( Yo Einsteins ! By haunting I don’t mean scary; it just demands to be heard again.) The reason why I started to listen to IM was cuz of her voice. A very husky, rich voice. And the accordion.


Now We Are Free by Hans Zimmer, Lisa Gerrard and Klaus Badelt
From the movie Gladiator. Eventhough I never understood a single word of the lyrics, eventhough I’ve never searched for the translation, this is one song which I dearly love. Very passionate, very touching. The first time I saw the movie, I almost cried when this song came . The visualization !!! Russel Crowe walking through those fields, his son running towards him. Much touching. Very goosebumps.


Saawali Si Raat , sung by Arijit Singh
Romantic. One very good composition, made by the music director Pritam, all by himself. :D :D And, of course , sung by Arijit Singh . Nothing much to describe about the song, but, a very beautiful one, nonetheless .


Tum Hi Ho , sung by Arijit Singh (again)
One of the most popular love songs ever, as per the Indian opinion.  A technically simple composition. The voice of Arijit Singh did the magic. And , like almost all love songs, a sad one. Very good song if you need to get depressed.(That is the beauty of it. You yearn.) :D


Hold My Hand by MJ  feat Akon
I definitely am not a fan of both MJ and Akon, still, I love this song. It is one of those few songs which speak more than what the lyrics mean to say, and the lyrics say a lot. A simple rhythm, a simple tune, complicated singing and even complicated orchestration. All this make this song awesome.


Love can turn the World by the Gaither Vocal Band

“If coal can turn to diamonds and sand can turn to pearls,
If a worm can turn into a butterfly then  Love can turn the world.”

A Christian devotional song. What I’ve given above is the chorus portion. One of the most beautiful lyrics ever written. This awesome lyrics plus the ethereal singing makes this a beautiful song. If you listen to it, you’ll sway to the rhythm without you realizing it.  And , GVB happens to be the awesomest Gospel band ever !!


I’m leaving on a Jetplane cover by Chantal Kreviazuk
I like CK’s cover of this song, more than the original one. The first time I listened to this song was from the movie Armageddon, ages ago, but, I never realized it until this year. To all my friends out there,  this is the song which you can put to use, if you are facing long distance problems ! :D :D You can put it to use during THE proposal, too (Thank me in advance for the tip, rekha :D )!


Top Gun OST
This piece of music, was put together by a not so famous guitarist, after Bryan Adams declined the offer to do the theme for this movie (reason : The movie promoted war.).This track is so bloody inspiring that I listen to it almost every day(I find that it takes a lot of inspiration from various sources, for me to stay sane). And, this is the song which made me love the Electric Guitar. Oh Boy, the riffs. *swooning*


Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri and Rainy Moods.
Not a single song, but, a combination of two, which gives the listener, an amazing feel. The lead song would be Jar of Hearts , with , the Rainy Moods(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDmbGrQqWog) playing in the background(It is nothing but a HD recording of a thunderstorm(with more rain and less thunder.))
J of H is definitely a post breakup song. Much sad. Very cry. What you have to do is to play both the song clips at the same time.(After buffering COMPLETELY.) The steady pattering of the rain kinda adds to the sadness of the song. Very touching. (Don’t curse me after listening to it ! )


An Ideal of Hope by Hans Zimmer
I go gaga when I hear Hans Zimmer. He knows how to compose, in style. This particular song, he did for Man of Steel . Begins slowly , like how it would sound like when a pin falls inside a glass cup. By the time it ends, the feel crescendos up to some other level. Listening to this one song made me wanna be a drummer (for Hans Zimmer exclusively, of course). Ms. P would corroborate with this. She knows the number of lectures I spent grooming myself to be the drummer of my dreams. This song is so awesome and inspiring that I put the song on repeat and play Call of Duty. Do that , and by the time you kill 5 enemies,  you’ll have Goosebumps and you’ll be determined to hunt down and kill each and every single enemy in that level.


Kaise Mujhe sung by Benny Dayal, Shreya Goshal
I would say that A R Rahman should’ve got an Oscar for this and not Jai Ho.  I am not saying that Jai Ho is not a good song. Kaise Mujhe touches the heart more than Jai Ho. The lyrics, the composition, the singers. No words to describe.


Saada Haq by Mohit Chauhan
Another awesome song by A R R. The song smells of rebellion and outcast-edness from the first  note till the last. I loved it when I heard it the first time. And, by the time I learnt enough Hindi to understand the lyrics, I loved it even more. More than what the lyricist says through the song, I like what he leaves for the listeners to figure out. I was surprised to hear songs like this from A R R.  Saala .


Bombay Rain by Blackstratblues
I love this band. Indian band, world class music. Awesome guitar portions. The song is like rain(That’s why he named it so, Duhh ! ) . Starts a little slowly , and then picks up pace. Will definitely make you headbang, especially, from 3 : 42 . Awesome groove. My current ringtone(Not the whole song, the final chorus portion)


Kabira (Encore) sung by Arijit Singh (again) and Harshjeep
A very powerful song. I listened to this song for days continuously, after I saw the movie. I still don’t understand the lyrics and I’ve never bothered to. A blend of traditional Indian style and “Western” , both in orchestration and singing. Loved it.


I know that the list is pretty long, but, can’t help. Now, the most favorite of my most favorite.

Newness by Blackstratblues
Dope. One word that defines the song. Mrundanga, Guitars, a whispering voice and almost no drums(only for the final chorus). An unusual but awesome combo, and, I guess, would go very well with the mood if you are smoking pot. (Please ignore the video in the given link).


Laal Ishq sung by Arijit Singh ( :/ )
I don’t know how this guy sings all the hit songs. I listened to this one after a friend suggested it. This was sometime last year. Till date it remains the most listened song , as my iPod says. P and N used to kick me whenever I say that I was listening to this song :D :D . Very powerful . Makes you yearn. Very disappointing (Read as : pathetic / no) visualization. Movie sucked. Big time.


Ente Kannil Ninakkai sung by Naziriya Nazim
From the movie Bangalore Days. The only Malayalam song in the list. Touching lyrics, a bass guitar, an acoustic guitar , a little strings here and there and a remarkable husky voice. N N happens to be an upcoming actress and it was surprising to hear that she sings , too. The music director is a person with magic fingers. Everything he touches is gold. School dropout, Fashion designer, has tried a hand assisting directors, music director, what not. Awesome resume, nuh !!


21 Guns by Green Day
I can keep on listening to the song for days, without stopping. Green Day was the first band I started following, that too , when I was still in school. Simply brilliant. (I’m running out of vocabulary(Tried calling you, Rekha, but , the line was busy. Call of Duty, I guess. :D ))


Anuva’s Sky by Blackstratblues
Very infectious tune. Plus , Rock a Bye Baby, rock shtyle. THE most favorite. Listen to it, you’ll understand why.(I could'nt find a video of the song alone, so, please bear with this one. Anuva's Sky begins by 2:20. The first part, consider as a bonus ! :D )


Good Bye, Ciao, Valar Morghulis and May the Force be with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment